Today was the first day of the 2012 “World Wide Developer’s Conference” (WWDC) held in San Francisco, CA. For those of you that don’t know what WWDC is, it’s a five-day conference held by Apple where they announce new products. Today was the “Keynote” presentation that had many new, exciting announcements! The main announcements are in this article.
One of the announcements was the iOS 6 operating systems for iPhones (3GS, 4, and 4S), iPod Touch’s (4th Gen), and iPads (iPad 2 and The New iPad). There are many, many new additions to the iOS currently out. Some of the main ones are about Maps, Siri, Facebook, Passbook, and Safari. You can find out all of the other information not below by going to: http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6.
Apple went ahead and developed maps instead of using the previous Google Maps. That’s right; Apple kicked Google out of the maps and developed a more advanced app for users!
The New Features
- Turn-By-Turn – A GPS system is now integrated into the Maps app with live directions. The system is beautifully designed with 3D buildings and is integrated with traffic.
- Traffic – Traffic is now updated and can change the route you’re going in order to make it shorter. On the maps, you can see things like accidents, construction, or alerts.
- Flyover – 3D buildings can be seen in major metro areas of the whole world. You can rotate, tilt, and pan over areas to view them in different angles.
Siri has been updated in order to allow “her” to do much more. Siri will be able to open up apps, give directions, and give sport updates. Siri will also now be available for the New iPad. Siri can also now do Facebook status updates as well as “tweet” on Twitter. Siri has gotten a HUGE update in order to do much more for people.
Facebook will now be highly integrated into the iOS system allowing you to post many things from many places. You can post status updates straight from the Notifications Center or by telling Siri to, share a photo from the Photos app, share links from Safari, share high scores from “Game Center”, and more! If you’re a Facebook fan/user, this will be great for you!
Companies, especially airlines, have been coming out with apps that allow you to board using their apps.Now, you can put all of those passes in one app and more!
- Things that can be put in it – Now boarding passes, movie tickets, rewards/loyalty cards, coupons, gift cards, and more can all be in one app instead of hunting through your iPhone for the right app.
- Location and Time – If there’s a specific time or place for a specific item in the app, you can set it to show up on your lockscreen when you’re there or at that time.
Safari has gotten a nice update allowing for offline viewing, iCloud tabs, and full-screen viewing. Apple has done a nice job with this update for Safari that many people will like.
The New Features
- iCloud Tabs – Now you can start where you left off on different devices. For example, if you were on a webpage on your iPad and and wanted to bring it with you but didn’t want to bring your iPad, you could open a page on your iPhone straight from your iPad. This works between iPads, iPhones, iPod Touch’s, and Macs.
- Offline Reading List – Now you can view whole pages offline if you save them. A good use for this would be if you were looking at something on your iPod Touch at home but you had to go. You can finish looking at it in the car or at your destination without wi-fi.
- Full Screen Viewing – On your iPhone and iPod Touch, you can now view a webpage completely full screen in landscape mode. This allows you to use every pixel in your display for what you want!
OS X Mountain Lion
The new “Moutain Lion” system is bringing over 200 new features to the Mac. As I can’t write about all of them, I will talk about some of the new main features. This includes Airplay, Dictation, Facebook, iMessage, and Notification Center.
Airplay will now be available on the Mac. This allows you to broadcast your Mac on your television screen via your Apple TV. This works just like it would on your iPhone or iPad meaning that it is easy to do! It allows for up to 1080p HD streaming of anything that’s shown on your Mac.
“Dictation” may sound familiar to some of you because of the software called “Dragon Dictation” which is a speech recognition software for writing. Now it will be integrated throughout the Mac allowing you to put text into any text-field by just speaking. This will be great for writers or just the average person that searches Google.
Just like in the iOS, Facebook will be integrated throughout the Mac allowing easy photo shares, link sharing, and more. You can also see Facebook notifications in the new Notification Center on the Mac. You’ll only have to sign in to Facebook once in order for the integration to take place forever. This is great for any Facebook user because you won’t have to actually open Facebook in your web browser!
Yep! iMessage has made its way to the Mac! Now you can talk to anyone with an iDevice straight from your computer. This feature works just like iMessage for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch that allows for you to easily use it. Just type a message and click “enter” to send it to whoever!Notification CenterAlong with iMessage comes “Notification Center” for the Mac! Keep all of your notifications in one place to view when you want! This includes emails, Facebook notifications, and messages from iMessage! Just click the notification to open the app that corresponds with it!The New Macbook
Today, Apple announced its newest product, which is a Macbook Pro. The Macbook has some new features that no other laptop can offer! This is very exciting for many people looking for a new laptop. The biggest drop-back of this Macbook is its starting price of $2100, which is very pricey! But, for what’s in it, it makes sense why it needs to be as expensive as it is! The awesome thing that was announced was that it ships today!
This crazy MacBook weighs a mere 4.46 pounds and is only .71 inches thick! The ports include two Thunderbolt ports, two USB 3 ports, and an HDMI port. Using all of these ports is a first in any notebook and the HDMI port is a first for MacBooks. This is amazing and Apple has clearly done an amazing job engineering this beast of a laptop!
Amazingly, Apple was crazy enough to make the display a Retina display. This means that there are 5.1 MILLION pixels in this laptop that gives you the impression of a piece of paper that you’re looking at! Apple also reduced the amount of glare, which makes it much easier to look at with the sunlight. This display is the clearest display to ever be on a laptop setting this MacBook Pro apart from any other laptop out on the market.
You may think that, with the retina display, the battery like will be very small. However, you are wrong because the battery life is still seven and a half hours, which is good for any laptop. The battery gives you a 30 day instant-on standby time allowing you to come back after a month of sleeping and get an instant screen when you open the laptop! I don’t know why you’d be away for a month but if you were, you could still resume where you left off!
The webcam on the new MacBook Pro is a full 720p HD camera allowing for a crystal clear video call! This is very impressive for an integrated webcam on a laptop! The dual mics on this computer reduces noise and allows for a very clear sound for video calls or to record videos.
With all of these updates on just the first day, it’s clear that Apple has been working their butts off in order to make all of this possible! All I can say is “WOW!”
What was your favorite innovation released at this year’s WWDC so far? And let’s start a fanboy war in the comments! Mac or PC? And why?
Subscribe to Our Email Newsletter: http://minidigita.com/newsletter
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/minidigita
Like us on Facebook: http://facebook.com/minidigita
Add us on Google+: https://plus.google.com/u/0/110120676412204450099/posts
Check out our YouTube Channel: http://youtube.com/TylerTechReview
Want me to post on your website?: http://fiverr.com/minidigita
Want a fair priced custom pc? http://youtube.com/mjtcustoms